Supper Church Home Edition Sept 24th, 2020
Please Join Rev. Nancy, Sara, and Chef Craig for an online Supper Church on September 24th at 6pm on Facebook Live. Chicken Parmesan is on the menu as Chef Craig attempts to make a meal for you.
Bring a meal or you can find the ingredients and recipe below if you would like to follow along.
- For the Chicken:
- · 2 large eggs
- · 2 tablespoons parsley
- · Salt and pepper to season
- · 4 chicken breasts
- · 1 cup breadcrumbs
- · 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- · 1 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- · 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
- For the Sauce:
- · 1 tablespoon olive oil
- · 1 large onion chopped
- · 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- · 1 can tomato sauce
- · Salt and pepper to taste
- · 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- · 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- For the Topping:
- · 8 ounces (250 g) mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- · 1/3 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- · 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or parsley
For The Chicken:
1. Preheat oven 430°F | 220°C. Lightly grease an oven tray (or baking dish) with non-stick cooking oil spray; set aside.
2. Whisk together eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken into the egg, rotating to evenly coat each fillet in the mixture. Allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes (or overnight night if time allows for a deeper flavour).
3. When chicken is ready for cooking, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder together in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Fry chicken until golden and crispy, (about 4-5 minutes each side).
5. Place chicken on a prepared baking tray / dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup of sauce (sauce recipe below). Top each chicken breast with 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese and about 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with basil or parsley.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted, and the chicken is completely cooked through.
For The Sauce:
1. Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
2. Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs and sugar (If using). Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve with pasta, mashed potato, a salad, steamed veggies, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice for the perfect meal!