Partnership Update April 7, 2022
3311 Centre Street North
Calgary Alberta T2E 2X7
(403) 277 0322 www.northminster.ca
April 7, 2022
Many of you were part of our blended worship and Annual General Meeting on April 3rd 2022. Thank you to all who attended in-person or on Zoom. As was widely promoted, we discussed the possibility of moving Sunday worship to St. David’s United Church beginning May 1st, with all other programs following at a later date. After some discussion, that motion was passed. We know it is a necessary next step, and even after two years of discussing the possibility of leaving our building behind, there were tears, deep sighs, and hugs at the end of our worship.
The Task Force is working closely with our realtor to finalize details on a formal offer from an interested party. When that is complete, the Board and Trustees will present that offer to the congregation for approval, and the Trustees will then work with Chinook Winds Region to complete the sale. In the meantime, we are grateful for the temporary partnership with St. David’s which will be our home while we plan for the future.
What are the next steps for all of us?
- Only worship and Sunday morning programs are moving for now. Things like the Kerby Bread Market, Truth and Reconciliation programs, and an evening Commemorative service on May 15th will stay at Northminster. Groups like Book Study, Healing Pathways, Crafters and others can decide which location they would like to meet at.
- Our children and youth ministry team are finding creative ways to include our younger members in the transition. We’re planning a moving day together with a picnic at the playground at St David’s, and we want to get to know the new space with a fun scavenger hunt on May 1st.
- The Task Force will work with the Board to determine what important items get moved with us.
- All of our staff will be coming to St. David’s. And at some point in the month of May, Rev. Nancy and Barb will move to the new office space.
- The Board will also give direction on maintaining the yard and security, and that our tenants remain in the building so that this revenue source continues for us.
- When paperwork for the sale of our building is complete, and a possession date is determined, a formal decommissioning service will be organized.
- Many are not able to drive. Help us get as many people to Northminster as possible in the month of April, by reaching out to the office to be a volunteer driver.
Thank you for the kindness and caring you are offering each other. As we look to the future with hope, there will still be grief as we remember and celebrate all that has taken place in this building over the years.
Worship on April 24th will be a music-filled celebration with communion, and our children and youth will be playing a special role in the service. If you have ideas for how you’d like to mark the occasion reach out to Rev. Nancy.
Continue to watch for updates and the ways you can participate in the next steps.
Your Northminster United Church Family.